Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Chapter Closes For Me For Nauru


On Monday I was made redundant from my role in Nauru. Suddenly. Flown home the next day.

I have taken some time away now, and will do loads of self care when I get back to Melbourne next week, to work through all of the experiences. The good and amazing moments, the heart-warming and melting moments. And all the soul-destroying stuff, the heart-breaking stories, events, battles, the tears. The full emotional rollercoaster. Somehow.

I have learnt, and seen, so much.

I have met and had the privilege of spending all this time there with the most amazing lads, who have taught me so much about culture, incredible resilience, love, faith and hope. So much, that I will treasure forever.

I have no doubt this experience has changed me. In so many ways.

Then I need to figure out what's next. I have no idea what that will look like at this stage. But I do know that I will now find a way to fight for our asylum seekers and refugees placed in Nauru by the Australian government, until they are off that island, and safe.

1 comment:

  1. You did an amazing job and I can't imagine how hard you'd be taking it. Good luck for the next chapter - you'll always be making a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...